Pamukkale is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Turkey. Located in the province of Denizli region of Turkey, it is visited by both locals and foreigners every year. Unlike other tourist areas, Pamukkale attracts attention not only because of its natural and historical beauties but also with the health facilities it offers. You may be a little surprised the first time you hear this. But in fact, Pamukkale has become a natural health center with its important natural resources.
Natural resources that can solve even the problems that modern medical resources cannot solve come to life in the travertines that Pamukkale has created over the centuries. Therefore, Pamukkale Travertines have a different meaning than all other natural structures located in different areas. The fact that these structures have such a special ability changes the character of tourism in the region. For example, the majority of boutique hotels serve as thermal hotels in Pamukkale. You can have a bath with thermal water, have a massage and use the sauna in the private lounges of these hotels. In this way, you will have a very pleasant and relaxing holiday.
Today in this article we will try to brief you about a short holiday in Pamukkale. If you are curious about this, and you are going to plan your holiday, please continue reading our article.
You can check our Pamukkale tours here: toursce.com/cat/pamukkale-tours/
Pamukkale Travertines are one of the most interesting natural structures in the world. White image of the structure has become glorious with this image rising into layers and transforming into a mountain form. Therefore, when you come to Pamukkale you will want to take lots of photos. When you come to Pamukkale, it is natural to wonder how these structures first came into being. Therefore, we would like to inform you about this.
How Pamukkale Travertines Are Formed?
The main structures constituting Pamukkale Travertines are carbon dioxide, calcium carbonate and carbon monoxide. These three basic structures interact with each other over time and some chemical reactions occur. As a result of these chemical reactions, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in the structure are completely mixed into the air. Thus, calcium carbonate remains with water in the structure. Due to the weight of its nature, this substance begins to accumulate at the bottom. In other words, calcium carbonate deposited at the bottom forms precipitates over time. Because as this substance accumulates, it becomes more solid than before. The temperature of groundwater makes this material even harder. The result is a structure with highly healthy effects whose thermal water is enriched with various minerals.
The Pamukkale travertines, which have the formation process mentioned above, have united in time and a huge mountain has emerged. If you want to visit Pamukkale Travertines today, you will have to walk on a hill with a very high altitude. This will also be a unique experience for you.
Visiting Pamukkale Travertines Details
We have important advice for everyone who will come to visit Pamukkale Travertines. Make sure you bring socks and a plastic bag. This suggestion may sound absurd at first. But when we tell you about the process of visiting the travertines, you will understand what we mean.
Check the Pamukkale day tour from Istanbul with a good offer!
When you reach the travertine you need to buy tickets first. After you buy the ticket, the officers in the area ask you to take off your shoes. Because if you enter the area with your shoes, the beautiful white color of the structure will be damaged and it will lose its natural beauty. If you wish, you can visit the structure naked with your socks or feet. In the meantime, you may want to carry your shoes with a bag.
You will see hot water streams from place to place while visiting Pamukkale Travertines structure. These currents flow quite strongly downwards. If you wish, put your feet here and walk through the currents. Thus, the minerals of the hot water source will improve your feet. Don’t forget to take lots of photos when you go to Pamukkale Travertines.
Hierapolis Ancient City
Those who want to come to Turkey, in particular, are wondering about ancient cities in Turkey. Because of Turkey’s structure connecting Anatolia and Asia, many tribes and communities lived in this city during the history. In addition to that, major empires that dominated the world lived in the place where Turkey is in now for years and had built various structures here. This caused the region to be rich in historical heritage. Hierapolis in Pamukkale also one of the most famous ancient city among Turkey ancient cities. This city is located very close to travertines and its altitude is quite high. Read the rest of our article to learn about the ancient history of the Hierapolis, presumed to have been used by the Phrygians.
The History of Hierapolis Ancient City
The ancient city of Hierapolis is an important UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List. This means that the structure is worth protecting internationally. This city was founded around the 2nd century BC. Although not one of the most ancient cities in Turkey have such a significant urban structure.
Some historians call the city “Holy City“. Because the fact that the buildings in the city symbolize the religional subjects is very valuable. The name of the city comes from the name of a woman who is a very important actor in history. According to legend, Telephos was the founder of this city and his wife’s name was Hiera. Hiera is also known as the queen of Amazon women. The building was built under the influence of Hellenistic Greek culture with a very special architectural understanding. The areas such as Necropolis and Gates, which are located in the structure, carry ambiences, especially from Hellenistic understanding. It is known that the city faced a major earthquake in about 60 BC. Due to this earthquake, the most important buildings in the city have been damaged. The restoration works after this period were not suitable for the Hellenistic architectural approach.
Visiting Hierapolis Ancient City Details
The Hierapolis ancient city, where we give you information about its historical features, is home to very valuable structures. A professional, licensed tour guide can be helpful when visiting this area. In this way, you will get more detailed historical information about each structure. Now let’s evaluate the structures here one by one and then go to Pamukkale’s thermal hotel alternatives.
- Frontinus Street: The city is a city with medium-sized modern As it is known, every city that has this kind of architectural structure has a wide main street. The main street of Hierapolis is Frontinus Street. This street is approximately 14 meters wide. In history, this street is thought to be an active social space. This street was also home to religious celebrations during certain periods of the year. This street has a system that can be opened to all parts of the city. The sewerage system just below the street tells us that this location of the street is functional. The fact that the natural spring waters in the region are very dense and full of minerals has affected the marble structure of the city in time. Therefore, the stone structure of this street, which became a layer, narrowed the city. In the last measurements, the width of the street was determined as 8 meters.
- Agora: This region is built in Hellenistic architecture and is influenced by Greek culture. The Agora was the city center, which was described as a political center in the past. In these city centers, important individuals of the city discussed current political issues, philosophy and mathematics. In many sources describing the Greek state system, Plato is said to have told the public about geometry. The Agora was like a primitive form of a new generation of democratic cities. Because vital decisions about a city were made by voting in the so-called Agora. Of course, it is difficult to say that the system is completely democratic. Because slaves and women could not participate in these votes. Agora in the ancient city of Hierapolis, primarily used as a commercial agora. Commercial decisions and activities were carried out in this area located in the center of the city. The Agora region is one of the largest agora records.
- North Byzantine Gate: The most popular feature of the ancient city of Hierapolis is the gates of the city. The north gate and the south gate of the Hierapolis ancient city are identical and almost symmetrical. This is the product of a superior architectural genius. The most important feature of this gate is that it symbolizes superstitions and religious beliefs about the people of the city. The various animal motifs around the door make this very clear. For example, the lions, panther, gorgo head, and adorned areas around the gate make the public think that the city is protected. Particularly in ancient times, a system of thought based on religious figures or superstitions was needed to maintain a city. People living in Hierapolis seem to have used these systems of thought.
- South Byzantine Gate: This structure was built in exactly the same way as the North Gate. There are two towers on the left and right sides of the gate. These towers help the sultan see the oncoming dangers in dangerous times. Furthermore, the fact that the two gates are the same as the structure adds an aesthetic ambience to the exterior of the city.
- Temple of Apollo: This building is perhaps the most famous and most important architectural structure in the ancient city of Hierapolis. This structure was built as a result of great efforts for the high holy god Apollo. This area is built in two parts on the upper part of the street and these parts are connected to each other by stairs. This temple, which was used by individuals living in the ancient city to spend worship activities, was like a spiritual center of the city. Therefore, we see that the overall external appearance of the columns and structure still preserved here.
The most important structures in the Hierapolis Ancient city was these. Of course, we have also Kleopatra Pool, which is really famous for its legend about Kleopatra. You can go the official website of Pamukkale Municipality and view other structures of the city. Do not forget to take a lot of photos while visiting the different structures of the city.
Thermal Relaxation in Pamukkale
One of the most important features of Pamukkale is that it is considered as an important health center. Thermal water formed by travertines is used by hotels. In this way, even a single day you spend here gives you and your different parts of body a high level of relaxation. You will feel your body relaxing with hot water and thermal massage & spa services. So, where should stay in Pamukkale? Which hotels offer thermal services? Here are the answers to these questions in the following areas of the article.
Most Preferred Thermal Hotels in Pamukkale
There are some hotels we have selected for you based on ratings on the internet and in line with user reviews. If you want to spend a few days here and have a peaceful holiday after visiting Pamukkale, check out these hotels. Here they are:
- Richmond Pamukkale Thermal Hotel
- Vista Wellness Spa Termal Pamukkale
- Pam Thermal Otel
- Spa Hotel Colossae Thermal
- Özdemir Thermal Otel
- Polat Thermal Otel Pamukkale
- Pamukkale Ninova Thermal Spa & Hotel
If you wish to stay in any of the above hotels, we recommend that you book in advance. In this way, you can settle in your hotel without any problems. If you are visiting Pamukkale with one-day tours, staying at such a hotel instead of returning to the airport at the end of your trip will make you feel better and rested. Have a good holiday in Pamukkale!